Tuesday 16 September 2014

I LOVE My Make Up Bag Essentials



No matter how many new products I buy, i'll most often go back to my 'ye old faithfuls' ;)
I love trying out new products but when I wake up and go to Uni, it's not exactly the best time to start experimenting with a new look. The amount of times I've woke up and decided 'today is the day i'm going to wear a lovely smokey eye' only for it to end up looking too dark and as though I've been punched in the eye. So, now as a precaution I make sure I have my basics for a back up look in my Make Up Bag. At the end of the day you really can't go wrong with a simple but chic, winged eyeliner- in fact I've been wearing this look for about 6 years. (wow- maybe I should shake it up a bit!)

ANYWHO, here are my Make Up Bag Essentials!

I'll start with what i'd use first as though i'm applying it to my face;

To make sure my makeup lasts all day and doesn't slide off my face I like to apply a primer. The Make Up Primer that I have grown fond of recently is Bourjois Paris Happy Light Primer in the Matte Serum. The primer comes in two kinds - Matte Serum and Luminous Serum - both fabulous for different reasons. I chose the Matte Serum for my everyday look because I don't like looking shiny and it instantly reduces my pores, leaving my skin looking a lot more flawless my Make Up is complete. This Primer is exactly what it says, Light and thin. Which is perfect if you layer up your makeup like me. You don't want a Primer that feels greasy or sticky.

This Primer is priced at £10.99 at Boots and does last quite a while so I recommend it for everyday use. I've only recently started using a primer, so if you're still thinking 'oh i don't realllly need a primer my makeup lasts quite well' PLEASE just try it once! You will be amazed! It makes such a difference :)



 There are a few fabulous Primers on the market and I do also love Maybelline's Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser. This Primer is priced at £7.99 in Boots and makes a lovely alternative if you feel you need to save a few pennies here and there!

Moving on to Foundation now, I'm not posh, I'm not rich, I'm just like everybody else, I buy my makeup from the High Street. I don't believe in buying ridiculously expensive makeup when I can find a version just as good on the High Street.

 I have always been a fan of liquid foundation as I feel it lasts longer and provides a fuller coverage. My long time favorite has to be Rimmel's 25 Hour Long Lasting Foundation. In all honesty, I really don't think it could last 25 hours, unless you cake it on. But I suppose I don't have a 25 hour day? I wear it from 7am to right up until I go to bed. And well, it lasts pretty damn fine for me. ;)

I purchased this foundation from Body Care for £4.99 (I think) instead of £7.99 at Boots.

The consistency of the foundation is thick, I think this puts a lot of people off this foundation but when you apply it to your face, it doesn't sit heavy. I've recently started using brushes to apply my foundation and it has made a hell of a difference, so I think if you use your fingers for application and you feel like this foundation is really heavy, then maybe try using a brush or sponge before you dismiss it completely. I say this because when applied with my fingers the foundation felt heavy and sticky until it dried, but when I applied the foundation in dots all over my face and used a brush in a circular motion, the foundation appeared flawless, smooth, had no streaks and great coverage!




After I've applied my Foundation I go right ahead and dust my face with powder. It took me a while to find a decent powder that didn't make me feel as though my makeup was caked on. I hated how powder made my skin look. A lot of the time, I found that powder either made me look too pale or too orange there was no middle ground! Until recently I found the one! The love of my life! Nah i'm joking, but it's pretty close! ;)

I'm talking about Translucent Loose Powder by Max Factor. Buy it now. I'm done.-

-No but seriously, this powder is perfect, it sets your foundation and primer with it's light dust-like-texture. Your face feels and appears, matte, smooth, flawless and airbrushed! My freckles even disappeared with this powder!

I purchased this powder on impulse when I was shopping on Amazon.co.uk. It cost £8.70 instead of £15.

As you can see below the powder comes with a powder puff applicator. The powder also has a safe guard compressor allowing you to get just the right amount of powder on your applicator. I don't really like using the powder puff as I feel it doesn't really distribute the powder well on my face. It kinda just 'plops' it on. Excuse my northern terminology haha. Whereas with a brush the powder is applied evenly.



After applying my Powder I attempt my eyeliner. After years of thinking I was some kind of rocker in my youth I can now confirm I have found the best eyeliner for me. This magical eyeliner is Barry M's Liquid Eyeliner. It's the perfect black shade that matches my black soul. I joke. What I mean is, this is the perfect blackest black shade of black, no watery thin grey looking eyeliners here. ;)

The applicator is pointed and short but is long enough. What I mean by that is that it's not a long nib, it's firm and strong. On first use i'll admit it's a pain, the nib is stiff and doesn't hold much liquid, so you have to keep dipping it back in the pot. But after a few uses the eyeliner is good to go and creates free flowing lines. I like Barry M's eyeliner because you can create a nice curve with the applicator. With other applicators that are long I often feel as though you can't feel where the brush is when applying the liner to the fiddly bits, i.e the corners of your eye. In the end I always end up poking myself in the eye with the longer applicators. I use it everyday and run out after about the 2 months mark. This eyeliner really is great for value, coming in at the wonderful price of £4.79 at Boots.



When I've finished re-doing my eye liner over and over again until I achieve absolute symmetry, I move onto my pencil eyeliner. Eyeliner is pretty much eyeliner in my opinion. I don't always wear it, but It is always an essential when going out.

 My new discovery is Essence's I Love Smokey Jumbo Eye Pencil, which does exactly what it says. I love using this pencil on my waterline and smudging it out to create that grungy smokey eye look. Essence's jumbo pencil costs £2.00 at Wilkinsons.My other favorite is again, Barry M's Super Soft Eye crayon which creates the same look, costing £3.99 at Boots.



Also pictured is Rimmel's Professional Eyebrow Pencil with brush in brown. There's not really much I can say about this, other than it fills in my eyebrows and stops them appearing bald? The brush helps to tame my wild morning eyebrows. This product is priced at £2.99, I think I've had it for 2 years without having to buy a new one.

Finally when I've applied my face, I like to finish by adding mascara to my stumpy eyelashes. I switch Mascaras quite often, and recently this is my new favorite, Bourjois Paris Volume 1 Seconde Mascara in Black. This Mascara was founded by the gods. I didn't believe the hype until I used it, it does give an impressive lift. (Pictured below)



If you have much longer lashes than mine, imagine the results! This is only a small coating, to show just how amazing this formula is. This mascara is priced at £9.99 from Boots and is worth every penny.


So that's all, you've just seen all of my Make up Bag essentials and I hope you enjoyed reading!

Products featured above in order;

  • Bourjois Paris Happy Light Primer in the Matte Serum
  • Rimmel's 25 Hour Long Lasting Foundation
  • Max Factor Translucent Loose Powder 
  • Barry M's Liquid Eyeliner
  • Essence's I Love Smokey Jumbo Eye Pencil
  • Bourjois Paris Volume 1 Seconde Mascara in Black

No comments:

Post a Comment